Retail assistant / Trainee guide – Seasonal part-time position
Start date: February-March 2024 (exact date to be determined depending on candidate)
End date: 29th September 2024
Hours: 24 hours / week with possibility of overtime. Weekend working essential
Pay: Starting from £13.50 per hour
About Sea Kayak Oban
We are Scotland’s primary retailer of sea kayaks and sea kayaking equipment, operating out of fixed premises and online. We offer kayaking trips and courses, including BC qualifications, to all abilities from novice to advanced. We are a small company with only 3 permanent staff. The company has been in existence for around 15 years and under the current management for the last 5. Our ethos is based on ensuring we are customer-focused, and that any goods purchased or bookings made represent the best available option for the customer.
Job description and responsibilities
The successful candidate will be working primarily in the our retail space in central Oban during normal business hours, though if suitably qualified there may be opportunities for on-the-water work with clients. Duties will include but not be limited to:
– retail, including informing customers of the characteristics of different kayaks and equipment such that they can make an informed decision;
– preparing and packaging online shop and telephone orders;
– running kayak demos for customers wishing to try kayaks before purchase;
– taking bookings for trips and courses, including advising clients on the appropriate ones for them;
– assisting with trips and courses, including preparing equipment beforehand and cleaning it afterwards;
– equipment maintenance;
– general cleaning.
Once trained the candidate will be required to work solo and unsupervised, taking responsibility for the running of the shop and any day-to-day activities.
If the successful candidate is interested in progressing their personal paddling and / or qualifications, there will be opportunities for on the water training, including shadowing opportunities, mentoring and support towards qualifications.
– friendly and engaging manner with customers
– knowledge of kayaks and sea kayaking
– previous retail experience
– British Canoeing qualifications, particularly at Sea Kayak Leader level or above
– experience of marketing and social media management
– experience of working in an outdoor activities environment
– full UK driving licence with experience of towing trailers
Applicants should submit a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for application: 20th Nov 2023
Interviews will take place shortly after the closing date and may be in person or online.
Please note accommodation in the wider Oban area is extremely hard to secure especially around the summer season. You should ensure you have considered this before accepting any post you may be offered.